Students Corner

DeMont guides it students every step of the way. Right from picking the best programme to the process of enrollment & moving to Dubai and settling down.

Introduction

Home to Burj Khalifa which is the tallest building in the world, Dubai is one of the 7 Emirates that make up the United Arab Emirates (UAE). It also happens to be the most populous Emirate of the UAE, and second on the list of accommodating the most numbers of 5-Star hotels.

Dubai is known for its lavish lifestyle and multicultural environment. While situated in the Middle East, and holding a prominent reputation in the Arab World, UAE caters to approximately 200 nationalities. The UAE nationals make up an estimate of 11.5% of the population in the region, whereas the remaining 88.5% is made up of expatriates.

South Asians, such as Indians, Pakistanis, Sri Lankans, Filipinos and Bangladeshis dominate most of the expat demography in UAE, followed by Egyptians and Iranians. Arabic, English, Malayalam, Urdu, Hindi, Farsi, and Filipino are widely spoken languages in the UAE. Dubai is especially welcoming of people from all faiths and upholds the values of acceptance, inclusion of diversity and tolerance.

Moving to Dubai

Dubai is a warm and welcoming metropolitan city. It attracts over 16 million tourists under normal circumstances, even during an ongoing Pandemic, Dubai was able to attract over 5 million tourists from around the world.
Food from hundreds of different cultures and transportation such as the Dubai Metro, Dubai Taxi, tour buses and car rentals are easily available and affordable in the city, as compared to other tourist destinations.
Moving to Dubai, for most, is an easy, exciting and an adventurous transition. Dubai has something for people from all walks of life, sandy beaches with clear blue water, leisure activities, extreme adventure experiences, a rich nightlife, comfortable accommodations, various tourist attractions, theme and water parks, malls, museums and open public entertainment spaces with shops, cafés and restaurants, as well as exciting events that take place around the year. Right from sports matches to races, to concerts, exhibitions, and literature and art festivals

While getting to Dubai maybe a smooth process, a few things that the students are advised to keep in mind are:

  • Assure that their travel and personal documents such a passport, visa, birth certificate, educational certificates, air tickets, accommodation information (hotel stay information in case of not having booked an accommodation, yet.), identity cards, licenses and health certificates are in order.
  • Students must be sure to read and understand the rules and regulations of the UAE.
  • Research on accommodations and student hostels before landing in Dubai, to speed up the process of moving in and to reduce hotel stay expenses.
  • Climate in Dubai is mostly warm, so avoid carrying excess winter clothes.
  • Pack light and only bring along the essentials, as most things are easily available in Dubai.
  • Carry a doctor’s prescription if you are bringing any medication along with you.
  • Aim to move to the country at least a week in advance, to be able to settle down prior to commencing your educational experience with DeMont.
  • It helps to have an international bank account that would make everyday transactions easier.
  • Make sure to check the conversion rate from the currency of your home country to Dirhams (AED), and be sure to carry enough capital to last you for 2-3 weeks.
  • Since Islam is the official religion of the UAE, be mindful of the Sharia Law, Ramadan and other religious practices.

Cost of Living

The average cost of living in Dubai for a student, mounts up to approximately AED2,055, excluding rent. Depending on one’s requirements, preferences, budget and comfort level, students can find affordable accommodations which can be shared with fellow students; they can find luxury apartments and villas, which can also be shared by multiple individuals; student accommodations are yet another option to consider.
It is advisable to share accommodations and living spaces with fellow students for a more economic living experience in Dubai. Students sharing an accommodation can also split grocery and utility expenses. Students should also consider accommodation in close proximity to the campus for ease of transportation, and to reduce travel time and cost

null

AED 20,000

Avg. Rent/year
null

AED 35

Avg. Cost of food/day
null

AED 250

Avg. Cost of Transportation/month
null

AED 900

Avg. Cost of Utilities/Month
null

AED 300

Avg. Cost of Groceries
null

AED 300-400

Avg. Cost of Entertainment/Month